Thursday 29 January 2015

A touch of Italy in Constantia...ciao Volaré!




I'm not one to venture out of my Mother City zone for food as I'm so spoiled for choice in the CBD. For Chef Brad Ball however, I'll do the mileage. He is the innovative uber chef that I first met at Bistro 1682 at Steenberg last year and is the one behind the deliciousness at the new Volaré Ristorante at Peddlars & Co where I enjoyed a fabulous dinner last week. (Brad was at Spasie the night I visited but his second-in command Stuart Newman did a sterling job).

My date was a little late so I passed the time Instagramming - as one does- and sipping a chilled Birkenhead craft beer on the Oak Terrace, a spacious patio under the trees that's clearly very popular. Beer always gets my appetite going so by 6:30pm I was ready to be led into Volaré for a spot of feasting. 

The food at Volaré is described as contemporary Italian, though slightly more high end so don't be expecting pizza and lasagna my dear amicos. Needless to say, it's all delish, made using the finest of fresh seasonal ingredients, locally sourced, all sustainable.

I started with the yellow fin tuna carpaccio with capers, lemon, basil emulsion and a shallot dressing. For my main I chose the pork Ragu parpadelle - braised pork belly, tomato, fennel seeds, rosemary and goats cheese fondant. This left me with absolutely no space for dessert  but I forged ahead to the final course when I spied that crumbled Valrhona chocolate torte with espresso ice cream. I mean who could resist that?
 
There are four eating venues at Peddlars & Co -  distinctly different eating experiences, in one destination. 'Choose your mood' , it's that simple.




The burrata salad with mozzarella, tapenade, micro basil, focaccia toast, tomatoes...


 Yellow fin tuna carpaccio with capers, lemon, basil emulsion and a shallot dressing...



Caledon lamb, caponata ravioli, peas, onion condito, bagna cauda & jus... (my friend's choice) 

  
The pork Ragu parpadelle...


 Craft beer on the Oak Terrace...


Volaré trades Monday to Sunday from midday to 22h. Book via 0217947747. www.peddlars.co.za




Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home