Monday 9 June 2014

Tapas that's too tantalising to resist...

Next to superstar ballet dancers, uber chefs are amongst my favourite PTA (People To Admire). There are only a handful in our fine city that are truly outstanding and it's not often I get to meet and speak at length with any of them. But halfway into this year I've been privileged to have met two: Andres Condé the Spanish chef formerly from elBulli, and this past Friday, at Bistro Sixteen82, Brad Ball.

Brad is offering a divine new tapas menu at the Bistro, with a focus on a different country each month until the end of winter. I got the June theme - Italy - and it was exceptional. I'm an ex ballet dancer so eating small amounts of food throughout the day is how I like to roll, so it makes sense that eating tapas is one of my best ways to chow down. Bistro Sixteen82 offers perfect sized portions of unfussy, simple food, beautifully presented. Which brings me to the fab plating - the tapas is served in and on Mervyn Gers tableware from his new Earth range that compliments each dish perfectly.

Situated at Steenberg (Stone Mountain) Wine Estate in Constantia, Bistro Sixteen82 is a 70 seater restaurant that opened in 2009. It's sophisticated without being pretentious, which so suits me because at times fine dining environments feel a tad too posh, in a fake sort of way. I far prefer enjoying top end culinary excellence at a place where I'm warmly welcomed and where the hosts and waiters are friendly, skilled and attentive, you know, like Andrew and Sean - a restaurant has to feel like home away from home and Sixteen82 has that sorted.

Aside from the fine fare, there are of course amazing Steenberg wines that pair perfectly with the various dishes. The first I tried was the 2011 Semillon, one of the Vineyard's iconic brands, and the second was the Italian red Nebbiolo, quite rare in the Cape I believe. Kudos to winemaker JD Pretorius- needless to say I took a bottle of the latter home with me (thanks Andrew). I want it all to myself - Family, I hope you're reading this.

Have a look at the food images that follow, then book your tapas table and thank me afterwards...  (relevant captions are above the images)


>Yes I know all about that magnifico red and green resin chandelier at the entrance but I wnated to spotlight the tier of champagne flute and wine glasses ~  this is a lovely spot to start off with a  glass of bubbly before being seated at your table...


>The 2011 Semillon, one of Steenberg Vineyard's iconic wines... peach, apricots, lime and a hint of spice on the palate...



 >The grilled-to-perfection spatchcock quail with garlic, olives, rosemary and lime...


>Zucchini fritters with lemon, and a tomato sauce that I'd have liked to lick off the plate. Very un-Diva I know, so I didn't...



>Polpetta ~ beef meatballs in a napoletana sauce... don't forget to take note of the Mervyn Ger plates people...it's always nicer eating off a beautiful plate don't you think?


> Loved the little mauve fleurs... I just had to show them up more closely...


>The Nebbiolo....my new fave red vino....perfect for lunchtime (or anytime obvs) as it's so light...with dried prunes and apricots, perfume, spice and soft oaky notes...


>The hard chopped beef tartare with cornichons, beetroot puree, crispy quail eggs and my best, the crispy capers, is from the main lunch menu; add it to your mix...



>A closer view of the more-ish crispy capers..I want them by the bowlful...


>On that carb free diet? This will bring a smile to your face - the gnocchi made from ricotta with a delish creamy sauce and crispy cauliflower....


>Before you get carried away and overdo it, remember this little beauty that lurks at the end of the food adventure - the dessert with green fig ice cream, rose panna cotta, pistachio sponge and marshmallow...



>Chef Brad Ball...


>And the restaurant ~ a beautiful setting overlooking a gorgeous water feature and a soft green hill ....


>The winter tapas special at Bistro Sixteen82: purchase 2 Tapas and a glass of Klein Steenberg Wine for R120. Valid until the end November 2014 (T's & C's apply)

>Opening Hours ~ Breakfast: 09h00 - 11h00 | Lunch is served from: 12h00 - 16h00
The tapas is only available in the late afternoon and at sunset, from 16h30 - 20h00 |  0217132211.       reservations@bistro1682.co.za   Twitter: @Bistro1682

>All photographs are © Allison Foat, taken on a Canon D600
@AllisonFoat (CapetownDiva) on Twitter @allisonfoat_capetowndiva on Instagram

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home