Monday 23 February 2015

Getting a dose of Vintage in Cape Town...

Vintage Day in Observatory, Cape Town. I heard about it from a friend of mind from Istanbul would you believe? On holiday here, she texted me Sunday morning asking if Lateral Paul & I wanted to join her there. A quick Google about the event and voila, we were on our way.
 

At first I wasn't terribly impressed... other than a few Mini Minors, an old Citroen, a Beetle and a Chevy Biscayne, it looked like a typical car show, just with way fewer wheels on display. And then we spotted Maria and Zigi from the Rockabilly fest, and the guys from Donford and the smallest of food trucks with a teensy pizza oven making those 'you want me' thin-based pizzas, and things starting looking up. And then, sadly for my bank balance, I came across Lolo from France, and her superb collection of vintage shoes, boots, coats and shirts. Yes, knowing I didn't actually need any of it, I browsed, shopped and departed with acquisitions. Well at least they're French acquisitions. Je suis ridiculous.

A section of the Obs Lower Main Road was closed off, and what a vibe! The most gorgeous classic and vintage cars lined the street, people were cupping hands against eyes and peering into car windows, ooh'ing and aah'ing at beautifully restored interiors and finishes...those sedans are such a great tribute to a great era that oozed style, class and a way slower pace. If only...


People-watching over a cider at a sidewalk cafe was very entertaining... Blue Haired Betty flounced by looking like an exotic bird and even a Penny Farthing wheeled by...it was amazing. I had a totally fab time...look out for the next event for your throwback to a time gone by. 


Interiors to envy...



Zigi Strydom from the Rockabilly Fest...


Ralph, Paul & a very cool guy in a onesie...


Penny Farthing...






Blue Haired Betty...


Fab thin base pizza from the smallest of food trucks...

Fantastic vintage show collection from Lolo from France...I dropped rather a few ZAR there...




That's me & Lateral Paul, the petrol head...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home