Sunday 23 August 2015

My staycation at Klein Waterval in the Franschhoek Valley

One of my best friends Megan got married yesterday at Boschendal, in the Manor House.  She looked exquisite...like a Parisian princess in a delicate organza creation by Gabi Rosenwerth.

I went to the wedding on my own because Lateral Paul is away & driving back to town solo & late after an evening of partying in the winelands wasn't an option. Enter the opportunity for a staycation in one of my favourite parts of the Cape.

Klein Waterval is 10 minutes from Boschendal, on the Berg  River overlooking blue mountains & an expanse of vineyards in what must be one of the Cape's most exquisite areas, the Franschhoek Valley. I checked in about 3 hours before the wedding to indulge in the beautiful day & sip a glass of Haute Cabriere 's fine pinot noir Chardonnay on the patio...such amazing views & it was a gorgeous early spring afternoon.

From my first communication with the lodge I knew that I was going to love the experience at Klein Waterval (which means small waterfall)  ~ the staff know how to make one feel welcome & at home... this is hospitality at its finest. Ezna & Greg took such good care of me. 

stayed in #10, a double volume suite with a private patio, overlooking lavender & rows of knobbly vines that'll come to life as soon as the winter heads out. It was a perfect setting. The rooms are decorated simply & tastefully, & have thatched roofs that add to the rustic feel. And there's complimentary wifi which is always a big deal for me.

Breakfast is included in the rate & is a generous offering of cereals, fresh & stewed fruit, cheese, cold meats & eggs of your choice... delicious! 


And the dogs... one cutie spent a few minutes with me... I can never resist animals as you know & am always finding one or two and coaxing them to hang out with me... 

Klein Waterval is on Route 45, just outside Franschhoek, about 10 minutes from Boschendal. Accommodation prices at the latter are a little excessive in my opinion so finding this lodge close by was a win. They also offer a car service to and from the wine estate which, at R250 there & back is a little costly but they explained it's because it's a shuttle, not a cab and Uber - my taxi of choice in Cape Town & in most other cities in the world when I travel - doesn't yet operate in that area specifically. 

As for things to do? Well other than relaxing chez nous, there are beautiful walks in the Mont Rochelle nature reserve I am told... & the village of Franschhoek has loads to offer & of course there are incredible wine farms to visit (Backsberg, Babylonstoren, Anura, Solms Delta etc etc) - this is wine country people, rated as amongst the best in the world. 

Go visit & give the terriers a kiss from Diva. 




























Explore your own town...there are so many treasures*

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home